WOW, can you believe it? We are in a new year already! Where has the time gone? Like most people, the new year brings many resolutions, and one of those is, “I’m going to the gym.” The first couple of months of the new year all gyms across the world see an increase in membership. After that time, the number of gym goers dwindles down to the regular members, with only a few of the new members still going.
Are you tired of buying a gym membership and not following through? Tired of paying for a gym membership year after year, to find yourself not going after a couple of months? Are you paying for a gym membership month after month after month and telling yourself, “I’m going tomorrow. I paid for this membership.” But you never go? If your answer is YES, keep reading. Here are 3 ways to reach your goals WITHOUT a gym membership.
Use social media. How?, you may ask. Glad you asked. Social media is a great way to connect with people that are like-minded, people who have been where you are, people who can encourage and motivate you to reach your goals. The best part of connecting with people through online communities is – IT’S FREE. Who doesn’t like getting something for free? You can find advice, encouragement, motivation, recipes, suggested workouts, and a community of people who will not judge you if you fall down.
Workout to videos on YouTube or cable TV stations, which are free and can add variety to your workouts. Consult your doctor before beginning any fitness program.
Check out these two YouTube channels that can help you reach your goals:
- LBX Fitness: This channel has 30-day workouts men and women can do in the privacy of their home. The trainer shows participants how to do modified and full versions of the exercises. This is one of my favorite channels.
- Tiffany Rothe Workouts: Try any of the following videos: Fabulous Fat Burning Workout, Waist Shrinking Tummy Tightening Workout, and Sexy Upper Body Workout. My personal favorite is the 10-minute Booty Shaking Waist Workout.
Start a walking group.
Here are the steps (pun, intended).
- Create and post flyers to announce your meeting (or use social media to reach out). Include time, location and a telephone number if you don’t mind taking calls.
- Get organized at your first meeting. Discuss how often to walk, time of day, days of the week to meet, location route, distance, and amount of time the group will spend per walk.
- Maintain your group’s momentum. As the group leader, encourage the group to have a motivational meeting at least once a month
- Enjoy yourself. The camaraderie you experience in a walking group can help you stay on track with walking for fitness.
Complete four times with no rest in between. (If you need to, please rest). After doing 25 high knees, standing in place go right into 25 jumping jacks.
25 jumping jacks
25 standing squats
25 high knees standing in place
Complete five times with a 30-second rest between sets. After completing your pushups take a 30-60 second rest and start again from the top.
45 seconds fast jump rope
25 bicycle crunches (left elbow to right knee, right elbow to left knee = 1)
20 pushups (can be done on your knees or feet)
You can also buy a jump rope, 3-5 pounds (or higher) dumbbells, ankle or wrist weights to add to the video or suggested workouts above for more resistance.
Now do you see how you can reach your goals without buying a gym membership? You can do this!
Zhivi Williams has over 30 years of experience in fitness. She is the founder of LBX Fitness and author of Who Needs a Gym? Her motto is “Transforming the body starts by renovating the mind.” Follow her on her website at www.lbxfitness.com and on all social media – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube – at LBX Fitness.